Wednesday, February 25, 2009

3. Sycamore

Dutch Elm Disease killed the street trees in St. Louis. All the American Elms that lined our streets, and so many other cities' streets, were dead.

St. Louis responded by planting sycamores. The big bark-shedding white trees with leaves as big as two of your hands and the little "sycamore balls" as we called them growing up, with the puffy little seeds that floated off on the wind.

Sycamores grow fast and die badly. They shed limbs--onto your car. They are the tallest trees on the block, and then they get struck by lightning. The one that used to be behind us terrified me. I just hoped it would hit Steve's garage instead of my house. But when the developer took it down in favor of a 4 car garage for her "condo" building (4 tiny apartments, still for sale 2 years later), it changed all the shade and sun patterns in my yard.

Now, when the sycamores die, which they do, being over 30 years old on average, the city knows better than to plant all of the same tree. My street has more than just sycamores--American basswoods, some black oaks. Sweetgums, annoying ornamental fruit trees, and the cursed silver maples.

But I still like the look, however fate-tempting it may be, of a street lined with the same tree every twenty feet or so. It unifies things (although, in the case of south city, most of the houses look the same, too). I would never plant one on purpose, mind you (see two paragraphs above), but I like that they're here.

3 comments:

kristan February 25, 2009 at 9:01 PM  

I am worried about the ash borer that's devastated parts of Michigan and Illinois. We are ash heavy in the city. I am especially fond of purple ash- they're pretty and medium-strong.

Judging by your stoop you live pretty close to Maggie B.? She and my daughter are in the same kdg class.

Bridgett February 26, 2009 at 5:42 AM  

4 doors down from Maggie, in fact!

Bridgett February 26, 2009 at 5:47 AM  

And my parents defied the borer last year with their ash trees in the backyard. They have two (don't know which type, though), and my dad injected them with Joy soap based on his mother's idea that Joy can cure all plant ills. Both trees bled sap and bugs were present, and then...they were ok. Maybe it was just luck.

About Me

My photo
I like to learn. I like to know people who can do things I don't know how to do. I like to drink coffee and sit on my south St. Louis city stoop and chat with neighbors. Dinner can wait. Very blessed by the place I've chosen to call home.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP