Friday, July 17, 2009

20. Water

St. Louis has the best drinking water in the nation. It's true. It's been decided by a panel of water tasting judges. Wouldn't that be an interesting job?

I've known this my whole life.

Our water is clear, for one thing. It comes out of the tap without sediment or color. Ice cubes melt in your glass and there's no extra stuff at the bottom that got pulled out when the water froze. I have lived in places where water was slightly brown or pink or cloudy. Sometimes very cloudy. Sometimes "better make tea before you drink it" kind of sediment problems. Nasty stuff, after living here.

Our water is also taste-free. It does not taste like a chlorinated pool (like my inlaws' water); it doesn't taste metallic, salty, muddy, stale, or swampy. There's no taste at all. Perfect for all purposes, frankly--it makes great coffee and tea, for instance. It's like licking the condensation off a glass of an ice cold beverage of your choice. It tastes like wet.

Our water is cold, too, with pipes far enough below ground to keep from freezing.

We have a lot of it. Enough that I don't have a water meter--I pay a flat rate for water, no matter how much I use. All the old houses in the city are this way. Those two big rivers, you know.

I love St. Louis water. Enough that when I travel, I have a hard time staying hydrated, because every other tap water I've tasted? Gross.

4 comments:

Rosemary/sonrie July 17, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

agreed. best water ever. even from other big cities. i don't even like the taste of bottled water.

Kaylen July 17, 2009 at 7:45 PM  

I completely agree - being in Chicago for two weeks was HORRIBLE, but only because of the water.

I love the water here. Immensely.

LisaS July 22, 2009 at 12:04 PM  

maybe among big cities. but there's nothing like water from the Ouachitas. Now that's water.

Mali October 22, 2009 at 9:01 PM  

I agree with that last line. We have great water here, and I hate going to Europe for that reason. Even the Evian is gross!

About Me

My photo
I like to learn. I like to know people who can do things I don't know how to do. I like to drink coffee and sit on my south St. Louis city stoop and chat with neighbors. Dinner can wait. Very blessed by the place I've chosen to call home.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP